Friday, March 12, 2010

smile and sit up straight!

Today I had my library interveiw. Overall it went well.

Lucas and I got in a little tiff before I left so that never makes a person feel confident or good about themselves--I arrived a little early (and one of the board members was a little late) so it gave me time to calm down.

Then I was invited in---4 board members, each with paper and pen poised and ready to write! Marie (the Library Director was present, but she is kind of like a silent partner) Across the table they were sitting at was a smaller table and a lone chair. I take my "place of honor" and try to smile and make eye contact with each one of them.

Then the dreaded interview process began. Actually I was nervous, but pretty laid back--very strange combination.

first the normal- "Tell us a little about your self?" question.
Then questions like "how do you feel about working weekends and evenings?"
"Would you be willing to travel to overnight conferences?"
"do you feel like you are committed to the library and this job"
"how well do you work with children and teen-agers?
"how do you feel about working with volunteers?"
"Are you good at budgeting?"
OK--I will stop with the boring details.

I totally BLEW some of the questions--and got some PERFECT!

The one I really Blew: How do you feel about overnight conferences? I stumbled over my words as I said "well, I don't really like the idea, but I know they are needed. I know you wouldn't send me to any that were frivolous...but I wouldn't really look forward to them...but I know they are needed so--Yes, I would go to them." (my mouth went dry and my eyes watered as I said this--don't know what is up with my eyes watering when I get nervous sometimes! Frustrating!)

Overall...

Lots of smiles, nodding, and eye contact through out the interveiw---all good signs I think.

Then it was my turn to ask questions...

1. Where would the BOARD like to see the library accomplish in the future?

all good answers --things like -

-expand on the computer/Internet side of the library (Good-I already said I know how to run a website and navigate the Internet!)
-Own our own building--the county owns the building right now! (I didn't know that or would have mentioned that before!)
-expand to other locations--(I stated something like--Help the community grown stronger together, and bring programs available to them ONLY through the library!)
-Bring resources (mini-classes) to the library.
and some other great points that I had mentioned some in the interview! I am kicking myself for not bring my life of things I would like to see the library have happen.

I would give myself a B+ if I was in school. Like I said I messed up (but spoke honestly) on some questions.

Now the waiting game..I also asked them when we would know--they said "as soon as we know we will let YOU know."

I will keep everyone posted!

2 comments:

travelingmom said...

I'll cross my fingers and say a prayer for you. Your posts make me tired just reading them. I wish I had half your energy!!

Jonathan Whitaker said...

I hope it goes well. I think you'll be a great librarian! After all, you are fine. . . :)

Post a Comment