Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Last Hike of the summer

 
The Last place we went this summer was a river called Three Forks.  Again, we had never been on the trail so we didn't know what to expect.
I think this would have been a great trail but the mud and again rain did not make me happy.  After walking about a mile and hardley walking on the actual trail because the mud was so thick I wanted to go back, but the two girls out voted me and we kept going.  This was the slowest hike we did.  I am not sure, but I think we barely made it two miles--but with dodging mud and cow pies it seemed A LOT further.  Pepper really dragged on this one, and I was happy because I was dragging too!
 
Lucas and Sedona are really great hikers and would often be a few yards ahead of us.  Sedona could out walk Lucas I think.  She really is a crazy good hiker.  She justs wants to go. We would let Pepper lead and Sedona would literally be almost kicking her she was so close.  With in a few minutes Sedona couldn't stand going that slow and have to pass Pepper and walk fast for a while again.  I am pretty sure by the next time we go hiking Pepper will be faster then me too.


We would often play games on the hikes--"guess which animal I am thinking of" was the most popular one.  Lucas said when they went to Red Lake they would play --"Guess which piece of trail mix I pulled out"  Sedona would have Lucas and Pepper guess.  Sedona would pull something out and say "Did I pull out a peanut, or a skittle? or Did I pull out a raisin or a M&M?"  Pepper grew tired of it and soon she would guess something that wasn't an option, so when Sedona said "Did I pull out an M&M or a peanut?"  Pepper would answer "A raisin." and Sedona would get so frustrated.  I can see that happening and I love Pepper for her sense of humour. 
 
 
On this hike Sedona really wanted to "explore" on her own.  I told her as long as she could see the tent she could go anywhere.  She had her whistle and went off.  Most of the time I could see her hiking around the outskirts of our camp, and she found many glorious places (her words not mine).  She begged to take the camera and Pepper joined her.  They seemed to like the Independence and while I had to pack camp AND wrestle Wheeler, I am glad they got to go exploring.
 
Also we had a whistle system worked out--three short whistles means she is hurt/in trouble and come right away.  Two whistles means she is lost, but OK.
 
We never had to use the whistles. 
 
Lucas had gone up the river fishing. so he missed our morning "adventures"!
   
This cow and its totally white calf followed us for a while--this picture shows the path where it was just a little muddy, not suck off your shoe muddy.
 
I have never uploaded a video--I hope it works.
 

Another Video

Sedona looks so strange in this picture/video. 

The placed we camped had some fairy tale areas in it---that is moss carpet.  It was so pretty!
 

Sedona took this picture on her hike.


Pepper took this one.  They did a pretty good job.
 
 
Sedona took this one.

One of our obstacles.  We tried to make the hikes more fun by letting the kids figure out how to get around/go over/under  any obstacles in our path.  That included small streams, down tree's, and such.  They did a great job.   
 

Another Sedona picture--it was pretty where we camped.

THIS BOY!  Ugg I will NOT go camping with him until he is older.  He whined, cried, threw a tantrum A LOT!  If he wasn't trying to get into the food, he was trying to touch the fire, or getting into everything!  He is mostly a joy, but camping is NOT fun with an one year old.
 

I guess I took this, but I don't remember.  Again more of where we camped.
 
He just looks like trouble!  Oh what a boy!
 
 
 
Overall it was a fun camping/hiking summer and while I won't go again at all next year (Wheeler will be too small to walk that far and too heavy to carry) I hope the girls and Lucas get to go. 
 
I am sad the "camping" part of the summer is over, but I love those fall days and taking a drive to the mountains when the leaves are changing colors!  Thanks for sharing our hikes wtih us!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment